Sunday, December 16, 2012

Memories of Bishop Sullivan


There are many stories I can share with all about our beloved Bishop Sullivan and his interaction with the people in the Richmond Diocese.  I want to share my most recent memories of Bishop Sullivan.

Members of the Legion of Mary (Our Lady of the Holy Rosary Praesidium) visit Saint Francis Home in the Southside weekly to pray the rosary with the residents.  Bishop Sullivan would come at least once a month to celebrate Mass with the residents.  He would always acknowledge the Legion of Mary members present for the Mass.

During Mass he would ask me to assist as the Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist. This was always an honor for me to be able to serve with the Bishop.

The Legion of Mary has a yearly ceremony called the “Acies” in which the Legion members assemble as a body to renew our fealty to Mary, Queen of the Legion.   I extended an invitation to Bishop Sullivan to be our main celebrant for the Acies Mass in 2011 and 2012.  He graciously accepted to participate in both celebrations.  He will be missed by those who loved and respected him. 

Evelyn Welch
Holy Rosary, Richmond

No comments:

Post a Comment